Architect Gelo Manosa was our first interview for the first episode of Green Living. During the shoot, all of us behind the camera were amazed with how you can build a sustainable home that works with the environment.
So just to share, here are some of the eco-friendly ideas on building a green home that I picked up from Gelo:
1. You can angle your house so that the wind stays a little before it flows out.
2. Having a fountain or pool by the path of the wind cools the air by half a degree.
3. Windows that open upward are perfect for the Philippines. You can keep them open when it rains and the volume of air isn’t reduced.
4. You can make a solar tube that funnels bright sunlight into a room. It’s basically free light.
5. If you use locally available material (Gelo used the adobe dug up from his lot!) you reduce your cost and carbon footprint.
6. You can save water by recycling it. Basically using grey water for gardening and flushing toilets.